Ultimate Hang En
Get set for the adventure of a lifetime with this 4-day adventure to the third largest cave in the entire world, Hang En. Trek through the jungles of Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park to the hidden ethnic minority village of Ban Doong, getting to know the culture, before continuing on to the gorgeous Hang En River Valley. Spend the night inside Hang En’s cavern on a natural beach beside a river, and climb to the extraordinary exit for a jaw-dropping view!
- Trekking through remote jungles
- Meeting members of the rarely-seen ethnic minority group, Ban Doong, in their village
- Exploring the world’s 3rd largest cave, Hang En
- Spending the night inside a cave on a natural, private beach
This Tour is Perfect for
- Nature lovers and adventurous travelers
- Getting off the tourist trail
- Learning about ethnic minorities
- Extending for a few days at the beach in Da Nang or Hoi An
Topas Travel creates tailor-made tours for our guests according to their specific requests. This itinerary has been designed to show you just one of many options
Day 1: Phong Nha/Dong Hoi Arrival
Day 2: Phong Nha – Hang En
Day 3: Hang En – Phong Nha
Day 4: Phong Nha/Dong Hoi Departure
Xin Chao and welcome to Dong Hoi! Upon arrival to the airport or train station, a Topas representative will welcome you before heading straight to Chay Lap Farmstay near the entrance to Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park.
The day is at leisure to discover the area on your own.
Included meals: Dinner
Distance and Activities: 45’ drive
Depart for Oxalis Headquarters between 8:00-8:30 this morning for a safety briefing and equipment hand-out. Then, head into the jungles of Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park, trekking on a steep downhill section. Head uphill for a short while and then take the final long, steep and rocky descent to a small stream. The stream will take you to Ban Doong, a small ethnic minority village situated within the national park.
Enjoy a delicious lunch in Ban Doong and take some time to learn about the rich culture here before trekking further to Hang En River Valley. Follow the river, crossing it consistently until you reach the entrance of Hang En Cave. This is where you’ll make camp for the night, within the huge chamber of Hang En, upon a beach inside the cave, with stunning views of the area below.
Go for a swim in your tent-side “pool” before a full dinner is served by your porter team.
Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Distance and activities: 11 km trek
Day 3: A Day in the World’s 3rd Largest Cave | Hang En Cave – Phong Nha National Park – Chay Lap Farmstay
Wake up to the sounds of the jungle and fill-up on a delicious breakfast before climbing the rocky hill behind the camp, following the dry passage to the main river passage. Keep crossing the river, climbing up a small sandy hill and a higher rocky hill until you see the incredible exit of Hang En. Make sure you have plenty of battery power for the photos you will want to take!
Go back to the camp via the river passage, having lunch in the cave before departure. The route back to the road will be different than the one you took yesterday, although the hill will be the same, around 450m of ascent. Return to Chay Lap Farmstay around 17:00 for some much-needed rest and a hot shower.
Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Distance and activities: 3km caving – 11km trek
The day is at leisure until your transfer to Dong Hoi for onward booked travel.
Included meals: Breakfast
Distance and activities: 45′ drive
- 2-way private A/C airport transfer
- All accommodation indicated as twin-shared room
- All meals as indicated in the program
- All entrance tickets to local villages
- 2D/1N Hang En Caving Expedition
- Refillable water in vans (Please check with your guide or driver)
- 1 x English speaking local tour guide on days with activities
- Government VAT
- Drinks and alcohol
- Vietnam visa (On request with additional charge)
- Travel insurance (Compulsory with Topas Travel programs)
- Upgrades to higher standard rooms or single supplements
- Personal travel items (Please visit our Vietnam weather page for more information)
This program utilizes comfortable accommodation in the form of carefully curated hotels, lodges, and homestays. Hotels and lodges have been selected with the active traveler in mind, offering standard services and located as close to nature and local engagement as possible. Homestays are simple and equipped with western toilets and amenities such as fans and mattresses. If you have a specific property in mind you wish to stay at, please let your travel designer know so they can work it into your program.